“Serve the Lord with GLADNESS!” –Psalm 100 This quote from the psalms was the motto of Mother Josephine, the foundress of the Sisters of the Holy Spirit, who have sponsored Jennings Center for Older Adults since its beginning 72 years ago. Mother Josephine lived her motto daily, in spite of hardships and challenges that she faced throughout her life:
- She was disowned by her father when she converted to Catholicism as a young woman. She then had to leave her home and family in Russia and live with friends in Poland.
- She joined the Carmelite religious community, but had to leave it due to ill health.
- She started her own religious community from which she was later separated by a bishop in the United States.
- She was imprisoned in Russia for providing food for priests who were in jail.
- She suffered a stroke during her voyage to the USA and spent the remainder of her life in a wheelchair.
We all have our own challenges to face each day…some are minor irritations, others are life-changing. How do I deal with them? Where do I find strength to go on? Can I, like Mother Josephine, serve the Lord with gladness in good times and in bad? Let’s ask her blessing on us this week and try to follow her example.
-Sister Valerie Sweeney, SND