Sister Valerie Sweeney’s topic this week is SELF ESTEEM: Self esteem means valuing ourselves for who we are, with all our unique gifts and talents. Here are three powerful quotes about self esteem:
- “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
- “From the very beginning you are being told to compare yourself with others. This is the greatest disease; it is like a cancer that goes on destroying your very soul because each individual is unique, and comparison is not possible. I am just myself and you are just yourself. There is nobody else in the world you can be compared with.” ~Osho
- “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” ~Albert Einstein
- When I look in the mirror I will smile and value myself as I am.
- I will make a list of my gifts and talents and be grateful for them.
- When I begin to think negative thoughts about myself, I will turn them into something positive.
Sister Valerie Sweeney, SND is the Director of Mission Effectiveness for Jennings Center for Older Adults. She writes weekly reflections on spirituality in everyday life.