Our Namesake: Monsignor Gilbert Jennings
On April 17th, 1941, an era of religious service ended in Cleveland with the death of Monsignor Gilbert P. Jennings, founding pastor of St. Agnes Parish on Superior Avenue near the old Cleveland Playhouse. Today, all that is left to recall his dedication there is the bell tower, now an historic landmark.
There is, however, a memorial to Monsignor Jennings which aptly reflects his love and concern for people. It is in the ministry of Jennings, the organization that bears his name.
Having inherited a considerable sum of money from the estate of his brother, Monsignor Jennings designated in his will that a rest home be built for the elderly who would not otherwise be able to provide themselves with a suitable home. What he envisioned was safe, comfortable and affordable housing for the ambulatory aging. What has evolved in his memory is an organization which has served the greater Cleveland area since 1942, establishing a standard of loving care and service in a compassionate and homelike atmosphere. Monsignor Jennings was always a man ahead of his time in meeting the needs of his people and was considered to be a progressive social thinker.